Saturday, June 28, 2008

The Errant Nail: A little drama

My fingernails do not generally give me trouble. They're well behaved nails. The cuticles self-groom themselves. They are not weak, and do not snap under pressure (such as when opening soda cans).

Well, the unimaginable has finally happened, and it must be a foreboding sign of aging or at the very least, calcium deficiency.

One of the nails strayed from the normal course. The nail had split a little on one side, and it didn't/couldn't heal. And it got worse, the split deepened. I couldn't execute normal tasks like hair shampooing with efficiency, and have a constant fear of the little split getting worse. I even have hair strands caught in the split when conditioning my hair. So gross!

One week after the split occurred, I couldn't take it any more.

I was at Parkway Parade, and so I stepped into the nearest manicure salon, and got the bad nail overlaid with an acrylic nail with enforced gel protection. It is now thankfully out of sight. The manicurist assured that that the fako is strong, can withstand my carrying any household chores (but to be on the safe side, I shall NOT do chores for three weeks). The nail cocooned under all those layers of protection can now grow without further agitation, and I can clip off the split part in two weeks' time, and have a fresh new split-free nail. Yayaya!

Can you tell which is the fake nail? I think it's really obvious. Even though it's not exactly plastic surgery, I feel a little unnatural with the acrylic nail. But overall, I feel relieved.

No comments: