Sunday, May 25, 2008

Hair politics

I'm the kind who likes to wake up, walk to the wash basin, hold running water in palm and press water down onto head, and walk out. That's my morning hair routine. And that, is entirely possible when you get a good haircut. I don't need super good looking hair, my standards are very low, minimal flyaways and overall non gravity-defying hair is ok by me.

I normally go to E salon so R could cut my hair. But the last hairdo didn't turn out too good. The layering was expertly done, but not right for my hair type, and that, coupled with Singapore's hot humid weather, is the combination to ugly morning hairdos. Frazzled hair sticking out in all directions on the top, limp shapeless hair at the bottom. I looked like a Fraggle Rock extra.
Morning Sight:


I hardly let my hair down anymore. After one month of despair, I decided I couldn't put up with this, what a lousy crown of glory I have.

I decided to ask A (R's junior colleague) to cut my hair instead, as I feel she could do a better job (there was once when R was not around and A did a stand-in and gave a sterling haircut). But I couldn't bear hurting R's feelings and facing awkwardness, so I spent three days devising how I could call the salon under pretext to find out when is R's off day so I can sneak visit A. In the end, I just gave up and called the salon and asked directly, and found out the off day is Sunday, so then I made an appointment to see A.

So, Sunday (today) came, A was cutting my hair and hair started looking better already, and Mr. R himself walked in. It's his off day and he brought his kids to see his work place. WTF?? Am I the most unlucky person in the world or what?

Frankly at this point, I don't know why I feel embarrassed and at the same time, guilty, for asking A to cut my hair, I pretended to be really engrossed in magazine reading and temporarily deaf, and not notice R when he was obviously greeted Loudly by all his friendly colleagues.

Somehow, I felt bad, because, I think One always has to be loyal to One's hairstylist. Seriously, alot of people have longer relationships with their hairstylists compared to with their boyfriends or girlfriends.
But, everyone also knows, when you find a good hairstylist, you must not let go, so, I decided, heck awkwardness, just transfer allegiance to A.

No comments: