Saturday, February 23, 2008

Hair raising experience.


If you have wavy or curly hair, you will know it is such a herculean task to find a hairstylist who can read the psyche of your non straight hair.

My maid wanted to cut her hair. When she arrived last year in August, she had a crew cut. Now, she looks like a Hans Andersen mermaid. When I asked her over dinner if she wanted a haircut, she nodded her head like crazy, so we went to a neighbourhood salon at Marine Parade the next day. It was late afternoon and the salon was empty. The maid seemed to be able to communicate with the stylist and they both seemed to have agreed on a particular hairstyle. So I left to run some errands and returned to the salon approximately 40 minutes later.

Now, you must understand she has pretty wavy hair (prior to this salon visit anyway). I was in mild shock when I returned to the salon. Her hair was completely ironed straight. Huhhhh? I was wondering.. did she decide on a rebond after I left? No way could she have her hair rebonded and cut to a layered bob in 40 minutes. That's some QB super record.

I spoke to the stylist and found out how...aargh!!!....The stylist stated in a very matter of fact manner, as in "this-is-the-best-way-to-do-it-I'm-the-wisest-no-one-has-doubted-me-before" tone, that as wavy hair is very hard to cut, she has blow dried the hair completely straight to cut and layer, as this is more efficient method.
I tried to tell her, that yes yes the hair is straight now, but if her naturally wavy hair reverts to their normal state, the curls may not fall nicely thus making the cut unbalanced and messy (all this in mandarin, mind you), the best way to cut is either, one, cut the hair the customer walks into salon with, when it's completely natural so that you can gauge better, or two, cut the hair when it's wet, and trim when dry to refine cut.

The hairstylist gave me this incredulous look, like it was the most ludicrous thing she has ever heard. Of course, by now I understand why her salon is empty.

She then proceeded to tell me that my very short spock fringe by a respected senior hairstylist based in Orchard Road is not special enough, she can help me trim it to angle more sharply at the side. I could not control my shuddering at that point and me and the maid made a quick escape.

If the maid's haircut turns out weird the next day, I thought, we should execute a hair rescue operation and find another hairstylist. But I didn't get to find out - the maid had pinned up and tied her hair the next day, and also the day after. So much for observation and analysis, I shall have to breach sensitive subject.

Image from http://www.laurel-travel.ru/kreo/bad_hair.html. More hair-raising hairstyles can be found there.

2 comments:

fong said...

What a lousy and annoying hairdresser.

I just got my hair cut two weeks ago and I thought it was not very good either. I don't think I'll go back to the hairdresser anymore. Last week I spotted a cute salon across the street from the sandwich shop I was eating in Long Beach, and online reviews were quite positive for the salons, so I think I'll try that next.

fong said...

What a lousy and annoying hairdresser.

I just got my hair cut two weeks ago and I thought it was not very good either. I don't think I'll go back to the hairdresser anymore. Last week I spotted a cute salon across the street from the sandwich shop I was eating in Long Beach, and online reviews were quite positive for the salons, so I think I'll try that next.