Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Handshaking Etiquette

I just got back from a long and leisure walk at the beach with Friend.

We bumped into Friend’s ex-colleague who was sprinting away. Very friendly and energetic chap. I knew Friend would introduce us. I was chanting silently to myself.. just wave from where you are…don’t offer the hand, offer the hand, don’t offer the hand…as he was perspiring from the crazy running. He offered, so we shook hands.

Friend later mentioned that he would definitely offer to shake hands as he’s very “corporate”. She noticed that the guy had to really stretch out his hand towards me before I took it. It wasn't as bad as I thought though.

I'm often caught food greasy-handed when introductions are forthcoming. I would then refuse to shake hands, but would try to beam an appropriate smile to make up for it, but really, under such circumstances, when your hands are not in tip top hygienic condition, what are you supposed to do?

But I do think the ultimate worse scenario is when your hand is just a little bit greasy, so the other fella can't tell, until he shakes your hand, then you'll feel bad for spreading the grease, but if you don't want to shake, you would appear anti-social. More awkward moments.

I think some etiquette book would advise NOT using hands to eat when OUT. But eating grilled chicken wings with chopsticks is just not as delicious!

1 comment:

Beeszlee said...

The Etiguette is okay to shake no matter your hygiene condition if you suspect extended hair is just as greasy (or sweaty in this case). To put it mathetically, grease times two equals zero!