Thursday, March 6, 2008

Lamp in red.

Boo! The Suan Lum Night Market is going to close down to make way for some generic world's tallest building.

I love the market. I went to Bangkok a few years ago, and one of the many bazaars we visited was the Suam Lum night market. This bazaar specializes in furnishings, such as wondrously enormous vases over six feet tall, replicate kartell chairs, abstract oil paintings by local art students. The one item that had stopped me in my tracks was a gorgeous gorgeous lamp. The lampshade comprised strands of glass beads which range from yellow to bright red, all manually hand-strung.

I think the lamp cost a few hundred Sing dollars, I couldn't think straight, maybe I overpaid, but I didn't care. (The little lamp shop may be located in a stuffy hot haphazard bazaar but they have credit card payment facilities, very sophisticated). I would have bought the vases too, except shipping would be pure hell.

The parents were not enthusiastic when I showed off my lamp. The father declared the red light made my room look like a brothel, and its fiery-ness would make my temper worsen. I could not have ask for worse Fengshui.

Look: Play of light and shadows on wall.

I hope the night market vendors would move en bloc to another location, preferably near MBK/Siam Square, then I can do all my shopping by foot in one day. Or maybe we should visit the night market soon before it disappears.

1 comment:

fong said...

Oh yes, I remember this lamp. You still like it a lot huh. Thought you might have gotten sick of it by now. It's unique indeed.